The Importance of an HVAC Filter
Here are three questions that we’d like you to answer right now.
- Did you know that your air conditioner had an air filter?
- Did you know that the air filter in your air conditioner is meant to protect the system, not specifically your indoor air quality?
- Do you know what happens when you forget to change your air filter?
If you struggled to answer any of those questions, then don’t worry. You’re in the right place. Our team is dedicated to helping you avoid some of the most expensive AC repairs in Knoxville, and we can achieve this by changing out our air filters.
Let’s talk about the role your AC’s air filter plays. We’ll discuss the benefits of changing out this component, what it’s meant to protect, and why you should never forget about it. Hopefully, after this blog post, you’ll be a well-informed HVAC owner that’s one step closer to saving some money on repairs!
The Role of Your AC’s Air Filter
Your air conditioner’s air filter plays a very unique role. Many homeowners mistakenly assume that it’s just a luxury component that’s meant to keep your air quality cleaner and more comfortable so that you feel better. That’s not the case at all.
Sure, air quality improvements are a side-effect of the air filter, but it’s not the filter’s main purpose. It’s designed to keep contaminants away from the more sensitive, interior components of your air conditioner. These components include your coils, compressor, and refrigerant lines. As contaminants come inside the system, they can make these components dirty and drastically reduce their ability to cool air.
Additional Benefits of the Filter
While an air filter is specifically designed to keep your air conditioner clean, it does have some great additional benefits when you change it out regularly. Here are just a few:
- Improved Energy Efficiency: As long as your air conditioner has access to clean, fresh air that comes through the return air duct, then it can achieve maximum energy efficiency. The air filter helps your AC get this, while also making sure to clean the air. When the air filter gets clogged, this gets harder for your AC to do and can harm the efficiency of the system.
- Cleaner Air: This goes without saying. An AC with a regularly cleaned air filter brings about cleaner air in your home.
- Longer Lasting Equipment: Remember how we said that the air filter protects the sensitive components of your system from contaminants? Well, this helps them last longer, essentially increasing the lifespan of your air conditioner.
- Avoid Overheating: The more clogged your air filter gets, the less airflow your system has access to and the harder it needs to work. It’s not uncommon for an AC to break down when the filter gets too clogged.
YOU Can Change Your Filter
While we’re available to help with any AC repair needs, ultimately this guide is for you. Homeowners are encouraged to change their own AC air filters. So, what are you waiting for? Why not put on some gloves, wear your messy jeans, and get to work?
Call Fannon & Sons Heating Cooling today for proper AC services. Welcome to the Family!